Pistons

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #659 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Pistons
Hi All

I have been looking into the replacement Honda GX industrial engine, which have a similar compression height and a dished profile. These appear to offer a cost effective modern replacement piston. The issues with this solution are that the gudgeon pin diameter is likely to be larger and so the ABC gudgeon pin would need to be bushed and maybe the skirt adjusted. Nothing that is too difficult.

In terms So I think we have two options as follows:

1. 68.5mm OD piston (Cylinder bore 68.1mm ID)

Piston = 13103-ZOT-810
Rings = 13012-ZOT-801

2. 68.25 OD piston (Cylinder bore 68.35mm ID)

Piston = 13012-ZLO-020
Rings = 13103-Z4M-003

The above part numbers are for Honda genuine parts rather than Chinese copies. I personally feel happier using the Honda parts.

If anybody has thoughts on the above they would be gratefully received.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Batten.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #682 by Gillespie
Replied by Gillespie on topic Pistons
I now have the pistons from JE Pistons in America. They are beautiful and they have the smaller gudgeon pin. This will allow fitting with only a new bush on the little(small) end. These are similar to the Zephyr pistons spoken about previously. They may be a little “ over the top” , but they are nice. They are expensive. I have also picked up quite a few sets of 68mm and 68.5mm aftermarket{China} Honda Gx160/200 pistons. Cost about GBP10 each
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #685 by Andrew Cox
Replied by Andrew Cox on topic Pistons
Hi
So what is the cost for 1 pair of cylinders and a matching pair of JE pistons or Honda pistons ?

Andrew

More
4 years 7 months ago #686 by Gillespie
Replied by Gillespie on topic Pistons
Hi Andrew, the JE Pistons are about $210 each. The China Honda copy piston is about$14 . I am not sure of the cost of a genuine Honda Piston . I have only ordered the JE Pistons I require. 10 pistons, 5sets. The China Honda copy pistons are sort of like buying bolts. You need one but you buy 10.. you think you may use them but your children will dump them when you die. Luckily with specialized piston manufacturers there is a cost per piston and you can order one. The inconvenience is the ordering and the shipping. This does not include any VAT GST Import fees shipping etc. Regards Peter