Mechanical Oil Pumps.

More
4 years 10 months ago #636 by NDHAERO
Mechanical Oil Pumps. was created by NDHAERO
Hello,

Sometime ago I recall someone telling me about a modification to fit a mechanical Oil Pump to an ABC. I seem to recall it was a Best and Lloyd driven off the magneto timing? But don't recall any other details. Have I totally made this up?

Many thanks,

Nicholas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #637 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic Mechanical Oil Pumps.
The 250 firefly has a sprocket oilpump between 1914 and 18 so i would use such pump as being more ABC like.
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #638 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Mechanical Oil Pumps.
hi you can fit an oil pump to the timing cover, it runs off the middle gear, this should have a slot in the end for the gearpump to slot in' you will have to drill the end cover. most gears have the slot but I have seen odd ones without it
I believe they removed the pump to reduce costs ?

More
4 years 10 months ago #639 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Mechanical Oil Pumps.
Concerning the fitment of auxiliary oil pumps to ABCs...the various pumps marketed by Pilgrim, and Best & Lloyd, etc., were scarcely pumps at all: they were more gravity-fed oil-dispensers/dosers.
First caveat: these 'pumps' needed to be rotated in the correct direction, usually anti-clockwise, seen from 'the front': although clockwise options were made.
The late, great Bob Thomas always advocated the fitment of such a pump (he favoured the B&L), and his was fitted to be driven from the nose of the camshaft. This would have entailed precision-drilling of the timing chest cover, and provision of, for instance, a drive-slot in the nose of the camshaft: work of which he was well-capable, being a gifted engineer.
An easier option would be to mount a CLOCKWISE pump to the timing cover, ahead of the nose of the magneto shaft, via a (special) slotted nut. Its driven speed would be the same, of course.
But why bother with such complication, when the original system, properly maintained, was perfectly adequate?

More
4 years 10 months ago #640 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Mechanical Oil Pumps.
Upon reflection, there IS a case for fitting a mechanical pump...its delivery is engine-speed related. In this context, I refer to ABC Newsletter no. 1004, which features a photo of Bob, with his race-face on, whacking his machine up a hill-climb event in Berkshire, I think. The detail of the photo is a little indistinct, but a B&L pump is discernible, mounted ahead of the camshaft.
Is anyone intent upon 24-hour racing, etc? No? Then live happily with your hand-primed tank-top system!

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #642 by regabyneil
Replied by regabyneil on topic Mechanical Oil Pumps.
Hi

I posted photos of Bobs bike showing the oil pump 3 years 2 months ago

its on a thread called "Emerson's Brooklands ABC Sopwith - a question?" and its post #219

This link might work(?)

https://www.abcroadmotors.co.uk/forum/abc-discussion/37-emerson-s-brooklands-abc-sopwith-a-question.html?start=12#219

BR
Neil
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by regabyneil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NDHAERO