Carburettor Query

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #859 by Batten
Carburettor Query was created by Batten
Dear All

I was looking at my HC4 Carb the other day and I noticed that the connecting flange is not parallel!

It appears that the current flange connection is angled so that the carb is angled about 10 degrees down and 3 degrees to the left. First thought was, that like so much of my machine, somebody may have "adjusted" the flange for some reason. However, I am pleased to say that this doesn't seem to be the case. So dose anybody have any ideas why this may have been done?

Below are some picture to illustrate the query and in particular picture #2 shows the carb flange face which has the same plated finish as the rest of the carb and no obvious home adjustment marks.

Thanks

Phil
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by gioorl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #874 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic Carburettor Query
Hi Phil
I dont see any pictures.
I have made new stainless steel float bowl retaining springs and I have a few spare if anyone needs them.
I also have a few return springs
Regards
Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #877 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Carburettor Query
Hi Peter

Hopefully, the missing pictures are attached now.

Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #878 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Carburettor Query
Hi Peter,
I hesitate to respond as you have already helped me out with spindle lock washers and other bits, but I was looking at my HC4 last week and wondering how I could get a bowl retaining Spring made - one is ok but the other is a bodged replacement which is too short. By magic your post appeared the following day.
I’d be very grateful to get one of yours, preferably on a payment basis.

Alan

More
3 years 9 months ago #880 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic Carburettor Query
Hi Phil
I have looked at all my Claudel Hobson carbs and the flanges all appear to be parallel. Has your inlet manifold been repaired and perhaps modified?
While we are on the inlet manifold ,as you all know the manifold has the heating pipes passing through the inlet manifold. After time the manifold corrodes through either creating a leak into the manifold or through the housing to atmosphere.If there is a leak into the manifold it makes the carburetor impossible to tune.
I have pressure tested all my inlet manifolds and found them all to leak . Four of the manifolds have previously been repaired and one is still original and unmolested.
The inlet manifold tube has 1 mm (40 thou) wall thickness and it is a piece of art. The repaired manifolds are a mess.
I was thinking of looking into making new parts for the manifold including upper and lower pressings of the heating chamber or perhaps a whole complete manifold.The way I go forward will depend on the demand for this. So to steal Alex`s words " Hands up Please if you are interested".
BTW the spare Stainless Steel float bowl retaining springs have all been claimed by members and if we will need more we will have to make more.
Regards

More
3 years 9 months ago #881 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Carburettor Query
Hello Peter

I don't think the carb has been modified. The reason I say this is that the sealing face is flat in both planes with no obvious saw marks and the finish nickel (?) plate as the rest of the carb. I can understand the carbs slight bias to one side, which could be to provide an even fuel mix to both cylinders. However, droop of the carb towards the gearbox seems to be a bit counter intuitive to me. I am going to try it when the rest of the engine is back together, but I may have to fit some sort of bias gasket to correct the issue.

Thanks the info on the inlet manifold. Once I had stripped the paint off mine I did look to see if there was a clear passage across it for the exhaust heating gases. Mine appears to be blocked, which from what you have said might be a good thing!