Kick starter information required for 1920ABC

More
3 years 8 months ago #943 by ian
I am checking the position of the layshaft rachet in relation to the ratchet in the bevel housing.
The instructions from the Sopwith instuctions say the rachet on the layshaft "the nut should be screwed well home".Yes thats fine but my rachet has an overall length of 0.859ins and 0.567 ins is over hanging the end of the layshaft.There are 4 threads in fresh air.So i have less than half the width of the rachet not on the shaft.That doesnt seam quite right .But when the bevel housing is fixed on i have more than 1/32 ins movement.
Could any one help on how to achieve a text book set up?

Another question the bush for the kick start spindle is retained by a locking ring.according to the Fig3 cross section drawing its threaded up its entire length.Has any one taken one out? Is it really threaded.
Mine looks as if its a interference fit of course it has been in there for 100years!

Best Wishes to all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #953 by rjohnsongb2@outlook.com
Replied by rjohnsongb2@outlook.com on topic Kick starter information required for 1920ABC
I have some original drawings of the kick start mechanism for the ABC from the Sopwith Aviation and Engineering Co Ltd
I had this mechanism on my bike (1921) but it was very difficult to get it to work without jamming and hard to understand how it would have worked reliably. I did make some modifications and it now works quite well. I can copy the drawings if required.

Richard Johnson

More
3 years 8 months ago #954 by ian
Hello Richard
I have largely over come the rachet problem.The bush in the gear box case was loose and subsiquently too far forward.I heated the case up and taped it back in so i could still get a thirty second clearence.With no overhang on the gear ratchet
I havent gone forward on the bush for the rachet shaft yet .I have a copy of the sopwith scheme drawings showing the view from each side and the cross section.Its from that cross section drawing that showa it threaded along its legth.Did you replace your bush?My shaft and bush are both worn 5 thou at least.
If you have some info i havnt seen you could mail me ian@thehirons.com.
Always something to do on an ABC!
iAN