398 rebuild

More
3 years 7 months ago #949 by David
398 rebuild was created by David
I have just unearthed my late father's ABC 398 bike and would like to rebuild it. It is all in bits but with lots of parts missing.

Starting from the front end some of the larger parts missing are: Front brake; tank mounted oil pump; chain guard; rear springs and carrier; rear mudguard.

There are parts from a spare engine which has no crankcase and a spare frame which at some time appears to have been converted, with a plaque saying ''Griffin Electric''

I have paperwork showing father bought it in 1949 but he owned one in the 1920's and competed on it in trials etc. I remember him saying he lost a push rod on Maidstone High Street and had to search on the pavement amongst the shoppers to retrieve it!

If anyone could suggest where I might source missing parts I would be grateful.

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #951 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic 398 rebuild
hi david welome aboard
regard springs try peter he may have some he has front so may have some rear ?
the rear mudguard peter is having some made but the lockdown has put things on hold
the oilers are rare but you could blank it off and fit a mechanical pump
there is a register of abcs so paul may be able to help you with the history
the griffon electric may have been an electric conversion during the war
i am sure there will be more advice to follow
The following user(s) said Thank You: David

More
3 years 7 months ago #958 by Gillespie
Replied by Gillespie on topic 398 rebuild
Hi David
Welcome
I think I may have a lot of the parts you may need. The best way to go forward is to make a list of exactly what you need and what you have that you do not need.
I have many parts I have not yet listed under parts because I am still trying to finish a bike or two for myself and I am constantly looking for parts that may be in better condition than the parts I have. I am also trying to build a Bonneville Bike.
I am finding the shipping from South Africa costly and I would prefer in future to send the parts in someone’s luggage and then they can be mailed or collected in the UK. There is always someone Flying to or from the UK when there is not COVID around. Paul Button has some parts in the UK as well.
I prefer to swap as well.
So make the list and send it to me and what we don’t have you can search for like the rest of us are doing. That is the fun part.
Regards
Peter
gillespie@mega.co.za

More
3 years 4 months ago #1003 by David
Replied by David on topic 398 rebuild
I have found that one of the long bolts with knurled heads that clamps the front and rear crankcase together has a badly damaged thread and needs replacing. Does anyone have a spare, otherwise I will have to get one made.

I am missing the main stand and haven't been able to find a good picture of one. Unless someone has a spare I may have to try and make one. Can someone post some good close-up photos or a sketch with dimensions?

David

More
3 years 3 months ago #1037 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic 398 rebuild
Hello David, late reply but did you see this picture from Wolfgang?

It's part of this post: https://www.abcroadmotors.co.uk/forum/abc-discussion/155-main-stand-spring.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: David