Motor show bikes.

More
3 years 3 months ago #1055 by DeepDiver
Motor show bikes. was created by DeepDiver
Hi

Just been reading the history of the Skootamota and noticed the BY 4714 was used at the motor show.
Along with this bike was one painted cream with a sun umbrella. I can make out a number plate.

I was wondering, the bike I have nearly completed restoring came to me in a box, engine missing and the wheels and frame painted cream with white tyres fitted. Could this be the bike from the advert?

My bike number is BY 5018.

If you can shed any light on the subject I would love you know.

No I haven’t got the umbrella!

I still need to borrow or find the foot brake pedal and transfer bar if someone could lend me theirs to copy.

Kind regards Neil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #1056 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic Motor show bikes.
Neil,

BY is a Croydon registration so it is likely that your Skootamota was registered by the works. This makes it a good candidate for the cream one at the SHow or one sold soon after it.
I see that the DVLA has it as first made in 1919 but registered in January 1921. Most of the initial publicity showed the machines on trade plates so the dates are not necessarily in conflict.
What is the frame number?
Do you know the history of the machine and whether it lost its original registration number which was recovered. The reason for asking is that last century before DVLA thightened up its procedure it was possible to get a number on the basis of a photograph showing a machine of the same type.

Regards,
Roger

More
3 years 3 months ago #1057 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Motor show bikes.
The oldest bike on the Skootamota register is BY 5028 which I believe still exists somewhere based on DVLA records.
The frame number of your Skoota should be quite low, two digit maybe.
Having said that, BY 4941 is at the National motor Museum and has a 4 digits frame number.

so...what is it?

More
3 years 2 months ago #1071 by DeepDiver
Replied by DeepDiver on topic Motor show bikes.
Hi the frame number is 69 which is stamped in the first bow tie frame , stamped in the plywood running board on both sides and written on the underside of the rubber mating to the foot plate/