The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.

More
2 years 10 months ago #1147 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.
That's it, we have list them all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #1148 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.
just to add a bit more, there are 3 road machine 1 in spain 1 in new zealand and one in the isle of man, the one in new zealand has 3 spare engines assuming that they were sold with the bike, it changed hands about 6-7 years ago. the one in spain no contact. the black and white one above was in new zealand but changed hands about 10 years ago could be in australia, howard burrows will know. it is a road machine that started life as eoi but has been heavily modified. i was told it has norton heads on to make it ohv. it was very successful in the 20s and early 30s but i have no records of this. does anyone know over there ? the grey one which i own is number 801 that is i think the first engine of what i call the mark 2 ie not 3 throw crank, it is no longer grey, that was a rush job,i only had the frame, engine and control levers. originally i put douglas everything on it,forks,tank,wheels, it is now blue, i have had a new tank made fitted the correct forks,only the wheels to sort out although they are period douglas wheels. the frame i am still uncertain i though it was a douglas which would make sense as that was the market bradsahaw was after. i have had one douglas expert say it is douglas and one say it is not. to be fair it had all the douglas bits on when one made the decision and as now when the other made the decision. i date the engine at late 1913 with early 1913 barrels fitted. it is a works engine and i believe it is the engine emerson used at brooklads easter 1914
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by keithsams.

More
2 years 10 months ago #1149 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.
Thank you for the info, I don't know if it works well but I think the idea of a turning a hub gear box in a different place in the frame is brilliant.
The 250cc engine is also way ahead of its time and I enjoy the view every day when I'm home.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #1150 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.
there is a series in the vmcc iom mags. the one to read is number 28 page 36 this is about bob just before he became onwner of the machine and the previous owner not able to find spare but bob knew of someone who had a new engine, so the question is does this machine have the original engine or has it been changed, this machine was the first complete machine abc made ? the engine number could answer a few questions. if he did change the engine bob would not throw it away so it may be there with the rest of bobs stuff
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by keithsams. Reason: new article

More
2 years 9 months ago #1153 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.
Here she is, finally running again

Thanks Steve for sorting it out and sharing the video (not sure who parked a Vauxhall next to it)

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #1154 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic The Bob Thomas Veteran 500.
We cann't hear it well becouse there is an other motorcycle running but what i see and hear it wil need some tlc to the engine and gearbox.

I have a feeling that all 4 survivors are prototypes compared to the series that sunk en route to Egypt.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by degraaff.