Jarvis rocker arm failure and solution

More
2 years 5 months ago #1199 by Dabney
I have found the Jarvis rocker arm on the ABC I am getting back into operation has failed - see attached photo with crack by the grease hole. As the rocker frame was also bent, the cause of the failure may have been an impact.

I have come to the conclusion that the rocker spindle which is also bent cannot be repaired, although alternative views appreciated. My thoughts are either a) to remove the push rod end of the rocker and some how attach it to a re-manufactured shaft or b) attempt to make a new rocker; however the sequence of machining, bending, hardening and grinding seems complex if not previously attempted. Your views of the best way to approach this task greatly appreciated.

If you have a spare Jarvis rocker arm on the shelf to save me this challenge, that would be greatly received, many thanks for your advice and help

Ian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1217 by Dabney
Replied by Dabney on topic Jarvis rocker arm failure and solution
The rocker arm was repaired by a firm in Havant using laser welding (see picture attached). They were able to put more ductile material in the centre and harder on the surface. The were able to keep the grease ways open. Hard to see the join.
best wishes
Ian
Attachments:

More
1 year 10 months ago #1349 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Jarvis rocker arm failure and solution
Hi All

I'd just like to add to this post my own experience.

In thread #841 "Rockers" I uploaded some picture of my machine's Inglis rockers with there various cracks. These were a cause of some concern and I did not really have a plan, until recently, to deal with them. Obviously, due to there age and materials traditional welding was out of the question and best plan I had was to possibly use some form of high temperature super glue to try and prevent the crack from becoming worse.

However, I have had the cracks welded up by EMP Tooling Services in Havant using their laser welding technique. In addition to welding the cracks they were also able to put in a couple of webs on the underside of my "Inglis copy" rocker to match my Inglis rocker.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dell