ABC motorcycle DH3520

• jules@julianparkerltd.uk
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1628 by jules@julianparkerltd.uk
ABC motorcycle DH3520 was created by jules@julianparkerltd.uk
A few months ago I acquired a 1923 ABC motorcycle from an old friend called Chris Jaques who is no longer with us. On the V5 it shows the the previous owner was David Hales.
In the file, there is quite an amount of correspondence between Chris and David and as far as I can understand, a man called Mr. Knapp restored two bikes, one for Chris and one for David.
I don`t know but is this the same David Hales who appears on this website.
My bike is:
Reg DH3520
Frame no. 3175
Engine no. 1183
Gear box no. 3175
Bevel box no. 3175
The bike appears to be complete and very original, I`ve run it and had a gentle ride and everything seems fine.
It is what we would tactfully say "subject to an older restoration", consequently I am about to start going through it and sorting out some elements that need a bit of love.
What I would like to ask is firstly, dose anyone have any history of this machine?
And secondly, is there a complete and accurate machine hopefully in the south east that I could have a look at I`m based in East Sussex.
Any help and advise would be most welcome.
Many thanks
Julian Parker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1629 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic ABC motorcycle DH3520
Hallo Julian,
                  Welcome to the world of Living Sopwiths!
The Sopwith Register lists your machine under the ownership of Chris Jacques, but with engine number 2059, not 1183.
Engine 1183, from 1920, was associated earlier with gearbox 2327 and bevelbox 1201: maybe I can trace out more later, and maybe you can tell us more...
David Hales is our ABC Historian Extraordinaire, and I expect that he will be reacting to your Forum entry in due course.
You can expect replies from other fellow Sopwith operators too, I think.    

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1630 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic ABC motorcycle DH3520
Hi Julian 
are you wanting to sell the ABC ? I would be interested, and not far from you ? 

• Topic Author
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1631 by jules@julianparkerltd.uk
Replied by jules@julianparkerltd.uk on topic ABC motorcycle DH3520
Hello Paul
Very interesting. I took the number from some paperwork within the file and have now checked against the bike and re looked at the paperwork.
The engine in the bike is 1183 however there is a reference in the file to engine number 2059 and this is listed as a spare (no spare engine was Chris Jaques estate)
There was a number of spare components that will be available once I fully understand what I need.
Still very interested to have a look at a correct machine if anyone can help.
Regards
Julian

• Topic Author
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1632 by jules@julianparkerltd.uk
Replied by jules@julianparkerltd.uk on topic ABC motorcycle DH3520
Hi Tony
Thank you for the kind offer but I am not interested in selling the bike.
Julian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #1633 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic ABC motorcycle DH3520
Hello Julian

Congratulation on acquiring an ABC.

If you are ever in Southern Hampshire you are more than welcome to view my machines. What I would say is not to get too hung up on originality as in my experience no two ABCs are the same. There are some good pictures on this site for you to ponder, but really I would suggest that you concentrate on getting your machine into a good running condition. I am sure it won't disapoint as  they are a lot of fun to ride.

Regards
Phil