Rallies and runs

durban-johannesburg rally 2020

More
4 years 2 days ago #852 by keithsams
durban-johannesburg rally 2020 was created by keithsams
well done both of you, what was the other trophy for most beer drank.
is there more to add to the forum ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #853 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic durban-johannesburg rally 2020
Hi Keith
Yes it was great and there is a lot we can add. Perhaps you should ask Paul.
The First Trophy was the " Duckhams Floating Trophy" and that was for the Rider of the Oldest Motorcycle to Complete the Course.
The Second Trophy was the " Dick Osborne Trophy"and that was for the best result for a motorcycle manufactured before 1926 Ist 500cc.
Both of these were awarded to an ABC and they are both very sought after Trophies. There were some very well prepared Harley Davidson Motorcycles that were going for these but the ABCs took them.
If there was a Trophy for drinking Beer I think Paul and I would have taken that as well.
ABC have a history with the DJ Rally as well with an ABC coming 6th in 1920 and that was a special year with very few Motorcycles even finishing. You can look up the results yourself.
In 1970 at the first re-run there were two ABC motorcycles that entered a Sopwith and a Gnome Rhone and both of them finished quite well. Look that up . I now own that same ABC Gnome Rhone.
I think sometime in the future someone can do a bit of investigation and the results are pleasing.
Paul and I had a great time.
Regards

More
3 years 11 months ago #854 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic durban-johannesburg rally 2020
Hallo All,
Modesty forbids any additions to Peter's summing-up!
However, I'd like to use this space to say a huge Thank you! to Peter, for providing me the opportunity of a once-in-a-lifetime experience in South Africa, with truly amazing hospitality and generosity. It'll never be forgotten! P.

More
3 years 11 months ago #857 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic durban-johannesburg rally 2020
e bay
there is a 1981 tankard for the dj rally on ebay if anyone is interested
put tankard south africa duckhams you should get it