The Milntown ABCs.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1172 by SteveW
The Milntown ABCs. was created by SteveW
We are still working our way through the Milntown ABCs with the aim of getting them all tidied up and running. Interestingly one of them has the crankcases stamped 'TT Special' (see photos). Anyone have any information on that?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1173 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic The Milntown ABCs.
-A pity that the two photos seem to be the same as each other! Reading the serial numbers is difficult, but I think they are 1703/1525/1525, engine/gearbox/bevel box.
This machine is unknown unto the Register. Its condition is well under par for what one would expect from Bob Thomas.
Apparently, it was fitted with twin Amal carburettors. Note the LH footbrake lever. Why anyone would have gone to such trouble to engrave the crankcase with the TT Special label, is beyond me. But it all remains interesting!

More
2 years 7 months ago #1174 by SteveW
Replied by SteveW on topic The Milntown ABCs.
After Bob died some of the bikes were stored in pretty poor conditions and suffered some deterioration. Work is ongoing to do what we can with the bikes and the cars. A better photo is attached.
Attachments:

More
2 years 7 months ago #1176 by Paul
Dear SteveW,
Clearly, your desire is the GAINING of knowledge of your machine, but do you have any against GIVING as many details as you have? It would save the time and effort of would-be helpers.
The engine of 8723MN/1699/1702/1525/1525 was already stamped "TTSpecial" when Bob Thomas bought it on about 20.3.1942. He lived at 1 Repton Avenue, Hayes, Middx. at that time, and the machine was sent to him by LMS via Hayes & Harlington station, from Market Drayton in Shropshire. I those days the machine was registered KN9480, and was said to have a 21" front wheel, a 19" rear wheel, a BTH magneto, and a twist-grip throttle but no carburettors. There was a kick-starter, but it wasn't fitted.
Bob's original offer of £2/10/0d. for the machine wasn't accepted: he had to raise his bid to £3/0/0d., plus £1/0/0d. carriage! Just imagine, the £4-quid ABC!
Bob fitted wired-edge type wheel rims and a BSA front brake, and also, I think, his trade-mark Pilgrim oilpump on the timing chest cover.
Bob used this machine for many years in trials and sprints, as well as simply on the road.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1180 by SteveW
Replied by SteveW on topic The Milntown ABCs.
Paul,
Thanks for the reply, I'm intrigued by the amount of information you have on 8723 MN.

As you probably know the Bob Thomas Collection is owned by the Milntown Trust, and I am one of a number of volunteers who work on the bikes and cars. As far as I am aware there are four ABC motorcycles in the collection, and they are all pictured in the gallery section of this website:

8714 MN is in quite good condition and is a runner
8723 MN has not run for many years, looking at the condition of the inside of the tank. Currently being worked on.
8708 MN in good condition but not known if it is a runner. Currently in the Isle of Man Motor Museum on loan.
8716 MN is in good condition and currently being worked on. I think it is the bike Bob is pictured on in the gallery at the Chalfont Hill Climb.

I dont think the Trust would have any issues with supplying engine number etc and close up photographs if these would be of use.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1181 by Paul
Additional information concerning 'The Milntown ABCs':-

MN8708/1430/1433/1433/1433 was the property of C. Edwards, owner of Milntown. This machine was usually fitted with a sidecar, and has Jarvis after-sales rockers. It was previously owned by brigadier C.V. Bennett, as FB2355.

MN8716/2877/1536/1536/1536 was Bob's 'racer', although he referred to it as a Sports model. It has shorter-than-standard front leaves, extra rear leaves (anchored at their front ends by U bolts!), and twin exhaust pipes. It was previously registered as BX2623.

MN8723...dealt with, above.

MN 8714...This one isn't in the Register at all.

Additional data FROM Milntown would be gratefully received.