Electric Starter

More
1 year 6 months ago #1375 by Andrew Cox
Electric Starter was created by Andrew Cox
HiI thought you might like to know that I have successfully fitted and electric starter motor to my ABC. For the purists peace of mind no holes have been drilled and no permanent modifications have been done so the bike can be returned to it's original state.I have had to seccumb to using Chinese parts, as these are small and readily available.My bike has the original kick start ratchet and shaft projecting from the rear of the gearbox, so I was able to extend it and mount a sprag bearing inside a sprocket. This allows a chain to pass between the rear gearbox mounting and the swinging arm. On top of the bevel drive gearbox are two tapped holes, originally for the light switch. I used these to attach an angle bracket which holds a reduction drive starter motor and sprocket which aligns with the gearbox sprocket.I then installed a small battery in the rear tool boxes and the starter relay ( ok I did need to drill some holes in the toolbox but mine are reproduction any way) with the starter button clamped to the rear carrier.Then the final part was a bridge between the rear gearbox plates ,where the kick start would fit, and there fit an adjuster screw in line with the gearbox shaft to ensure the ratchet stays engaged.This does mean that the kickstart shaft rotates constantly but I thought that the shaft is rotating in a bronze bush which is under the oil in the bevel drive housing the same as the rest of the gearbox.So far I have started about 20 times with no major problems. It seems to have an easier life if I use the valve lifter to enable the starter to crank it over the compression stroke and get a bit of inertia before dropping the lifter and it fires up very easily.The input shaft is rotating at about 600 RPM which means the crankshaft is rotating at about 200 RPM, because of the 3:1 reduction inside the gearbox. This is a good speed for the magneto and I would think a bit faster than a kick start.I started this project because I, like so many are getting older each day and I can see the day coming when running and jumping to start our bikes will become fraught with danger, so why not fit an electric starter so I and we can continue riding these rare and highly enjoyable bikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #1376 by Andrew Cox
Replied by Andrew Cox on topic Electric Starter
If you can tell me how to add pictures then I can do that. If anybody is interested ?

All the best Andrew

More
1 year 6 months ago #1377 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Electric Starter
Very well done. This addition will certainly allow you to run many more miles regardless of age.
I would be interested in seeing some pictures and better understanding how everything fits together. You can add them by replying to this message and clicking first on Attachments (below the text field) and then Add Files.
There is a limit in file sizes but you should get a warning if you exceed the limit.
If everything fails, just email those pictures to me and I'll add them for you.

More
1 year 6 months ago #1378 by Andrew Cox
Hi I have attached some pictures, hopefully it works.
If not I shall email you Gioori. Thanks. Andrew

More
1 year 6 months ago #1379 by Andrew Cox
Hi It seems to have worked. OK I have sent the same one twice but that is better than none ( ha ha ).
I have attached another picture as well.
You will see there are two pictures showing the finished bike with guards to cover the starter chain, so that it does not get all the road grit etc and also to prevent fingers getting where they should not.
I hope this shows enough now but if there are any questions please ask.
All the best Andrew

More
1 year 6 months ago #1380 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Electric Starter
Hi Andrew,
Sincere congrats on the successful outcome of your R&D project!
The question may now be asked...might you be prepared to accept commissions for the supply of DIY kits?
I'm sure that your claimed situation of Advancing Years and Kickstarterlessness isn't that uncommon.
Making up kickstarter kits would, I think, be more challenging than with your mostly-off-the-shelf electric system.
In particular, the inverted-tooth segment of the quadrant would tax most machine shops...unless Peter Gillespie can ride to our rescue!