Gearbox oil

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #1392 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Gearbox oil
 Dear All

As promised a quick update.

As I mentioned previously my rebuilt box has been filled with the Penrite T250 Transoil SAE250 gear oil and has now been returned to its rightful place. So far due to weather and life I have only managed to do one short test run and then a longer one at just over 50 miles. I can't say that the thicker oil has stopped the crunching of gears, but it certainly has made the changes smoother. There are also some other factors at play such as the having matched gears selector detent springs and a rebuilt 4th gear, which has also made the general gearbox experience much better. The biggest improvement in reducing gear crunching was by being more careful when matching gearbox and engine speeds. This is a skill that I think will take a bit of practise that I am looking forward to learning.

I think my conclusion would be that it is not the viscosity of the oil, but the skill (or lack of) that is the biggest factor in a quiet gearbox.

Below is a picture of my machine, "WA" at the Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum. The museum was the halfway point on my longest run (50+ miles) to date. Very pleased!

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Batten.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #1637 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Gearbox oil
has anyone used   penrite semi fluid and steering box lub.   some use it on vintage gearboxes  ?

More
7 months 1 week ago #1638 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Gearbox oil
"Penrite Fluid and Steering Box Lube" is advertised as being suitable for Burman motorcycle gearboxes. It's meant to be a semi-fluid oil/grease gunk, liquid enough to self-level.
Perhaps Penrite hasn't heard of Sopwith, an ignorance that I suppose we have to shoulder.
Anyway, it's plentifully-available on-line, at about £17 per half-litre.