front fork springs

More
1 year 4 months ago #1407 by keithsams
front fork springs was created by keithsams
not to put you off ever riding your abc again but have you ever though what would happen if your long main spring fractured, there is no places to fit leather safty straps just in case. i have fitted two of the long springs and removed the second longest but to do this i have removed the bottom roller it rests on.This bottom roller should actually be two rollers but they are usually flattened and never work, by putting one roller in this gives a thicker wall to the roller,. i always though they were flattened by shock load but if you really bottom your forks the second longest blade jams into the roller probably seizing the roller and the rapid wear takes place. can you see any pitfall in this idea.  ps if anyone has a magic camera can they put a couple of images on to aid description

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1408 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic front fork springs
Keith, in Tech Speak, you have identified a Single Point (Catastrophic) Failure Area, and neatly converted it to a Fail Safe situation!
The intended rolling contact between leaf-end and roller was never likely to work for long: friction and/or drag between roller and its stationary bearing bush soon became greater than that between leaf-end and roller, with the result that the leaf-end slid on the roller, and eventually wore a great flat on it!
The good news is that I've never heard of a top leaf-spring failure: have you?

More
1 year 4 months ago #1409 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic front fork springs
i had one in my box of bits luckily it was not
mine, i shortened it down to a smaller one, perhaps thats what happened to the others

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #1410 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic front fork springs
this is bert munro on his indian in 1967 with similar front forks, i wonder if he was worried 
just noticed he hasa a safety strap fitted
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by keithsams. Reason: added comment

More
1 year 4 months ago #1411 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic front fork springs
Hello. This is the best photo I managed to take of the front springs and the rollers. It does look as if the second leaf is close to the lower roller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

More
1 year 4 months ago #1418 by Dell
Replied by Dell on topic front fork springs
Hi Keith I have a complete front fork assembly from a bike last used in 1930's the spring is still bound with a cord to keep the leaves altogether I wonder if this was because they were known to break in those days,and it was a common update,have tried to enclose pictures but not sure if that is working , Dell