front fork springs

More
1 year 4 months ago #1419 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic front fork springs
Dell,

Binding springs in the 1930 was common in cars of the period especailly those with sporting ambitions as binding increased the stiffness and reduced roll - anti-roll bars were for the future for normal road cars.  However, there was another reason, which was that the binding kept out water and mud and kept the lubricant in.  One of the first tasks when my cars were back on the road after restoration was to completely dismantle the springs and reasssemble with molyslip grease.  The difference in ride and handling was remarkable and I really don't undetand the conventinal wisdom that lubrication makes the springs more flexible and liable to break.  Leather spring gaiters were available at the time to protect the springs but they were expensive so I suspect that the cord binding was used on the ABC as a cheaper alternative.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #1575 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic front fork springs
just to update things,i used the abc in the banbury run and forgot i had put the extra long spring in, it worked fine probably about the same as the normal set up only safer i think ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.