(Very) Belated Christmas Puzzle

More
1 year 3 months ago #1464 by Paul
(Very) Belated Christmas Puzzle was created by Paul
Referring back briefly to my 'Articles' entry, the Sopwith Screwthread Directory, I footnoted that such a list would be difficult ever to comprehensively complete.
And so it now appears....
Puzzle: Where on a Sopwith is there a LEFT-HAND THREAD?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1465 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic (Very) Belated Christmas Puzzle
It was standard practice to use a left hand threar where the rotation of the component would tend to loosen it.  The most common use was on front hub spindles which reminds me of the fact that this wasn't the case on the Skootamota which should be fitted with  locknuts to prevent unscrewing.  This was the cause of my accident in 2017 when the offside front wheel cone bearing unscrewed allowing the band bake to lock sending me over the handlebars at top speed (20mph). 
I woke up in a Paris hosiptal (Arpajon) in  a gown lying uner a CAT scanner with two men in gowns and masks talk in a foreign language.  Fortunately there was a blonde anged at my side expaliaing in English where I was and why.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1466 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic (Very) Belated Christmas Puzzle
can i borrow your skoota next year roger, i think he is having us on with the left hand thread,  question was the part made by abc or  from other suppliers of parts  ie magnetos etc.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1467 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic (Very) Belated Christmas Puzzle
I haven't seen the puzzle so I am not sure of the context of the question.

Neither ABC nor Sopwith made the parts, vast majority of the them were bought in.  Selsdon in Croydon made the engines and the cycle parts would have been bought in.  I don't know whether Sopwith made the frames but the cycle parts were certainly bought in.  That's why the Skootamota's front hub compnents were based on standard bicycle practice with right hand threads and locknuts.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1469 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic (Very) Belated Christmas Puzzle
  This isn't a Catch Puzzle: I have identified a genuine left-hand thread on a piece of original ABC Sopwith motorcycle hardware. Nothing to do with an accessory or proprietary item. True!    Paul.