Road Test Report: the Burton Parade event, 2023

More
11 months 1 week ago #1549 by Paul
This is a 70-mile Social Run, navigated with Route Cards, for "Vintage Motorcycles" (anything up to 1980, these days), based on the Marston Brewery Social Club facilities, just out of Burton-on-Trent.
Only one ABC Sopwith was entered...it was the second-oldest machine, beaten only by a 1919 Sunbeam.
The Sopwith behaved very well, all things considered. The Dremel-dovetailed top-gear dogs didn't jump out of mesh once, the Dremel-dressed bevel gears ran quite quietly, the front brake worked at least as well as the rear one, even if it squealed its head off. The rear suspension thankfully soaked up a lot of the often-bumpy roads and lanes, and the recently-added propstand was a handsome aide...squeal to a stop, kick it down, and step elegantly off!
The engine benefitted from neat-petrol injections via the priming cocks, for cold-starting: but warm starts were first-kick affairs, thereafter.
Its iffy valve-timing was reflected in its less-than-lusty pulling power: it revved freely, but gear-swapping was necessary at most gradients. (Top gear, at 15 mph per 1000 rpm, shouldn't really be too high). Anyway, my double-declutching is now much-improved, helped by the clutch itself, which remained light and positive throughout.
With its bull-horn handlebars, the wayward low-speed steering wasn't a big problem. No pushrods were lost, with its original valve-rockers. 
Light-reflections made it difficult to see if the oil-dripper was functioning properly: I tended to give it bonus shots at intervals, just in case...At no time was there enough exhaust smoke to speak of.
I ran the tyres at 30 psi, a sort of balance between keeping them firmly on their rims, and not bursting them (original Dunlops, perhaps 50 years old!) They performed well, even in some spirited cornering.
Overall assessment: this bike is near-enough ready for Brooklands in July! I'll let you try it out there, in exchange for rides on yours! See you there?
A footnote:- 'Burton' was not a Performance Event. However... 
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.