ABC Cars, Aero engines and the Robin aeroplane

ABC and Geoffrey Taylor of Alta ?

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #1696 by ACFG
ABC and Geoffrey Taylor of Alta ? was created by ACFG
Hello, Geoffrey Taylor the founder of the Alta Car & Engineering Company was also a producer of overhead valve gear for ABC light cars. The Alta prototype PK4053 which I own has a modified ABC chassis turned upside down carrying number 119 which I hope may be an early ABC chassis number. I hoped some members of the forum might have some additional information on Taylor's connection with ABC or whether it might be possible to find out anything more about the 119 stamped on my chassis. Best wishes, Alastair Gillespie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #1697 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic ABC and Geoffrey Taylor of Alta ?
 - All I can add to this, is that Geoffrey Taylor would seem to be the Taylor of Taylor-Young, one of the suppliers of after-market rocker-options for Sopwith motorbikes.
This was the one with escape-proof tubes for the pushrods, and partial closure of the rockers.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #1698 by Gnome Rhone 1
Replied by Gnome Rhone 1 on topic ABC and Geoffrey Taylor of Alta ?
G'day all.
I have a Taylor Young accessory valve set-up for one of my ABC's....also this nice period postcard.
Howard 
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1699 by dhales
Replied by dhales on topic ABC and Geoffrey Taylor of Alta ?
I have previously read that the prototype Alta had an ABC car chassis in some form or another, but have never seen so cannot comment much on this matter at the moment.   However, the Automobile Engineer in April 1922 carried an article on the standard ABC chassis with line drawings of the chassis in both plan and elevation, together with photographic illustrations.  I seem to recall that on the car I had the stamped chassis number was on the nearside front cross member facing forwards.  If the Alta upturned this chassis then that number would be upside-down on the offside.  The number '119' would equate to an early car of about February/March 1921 by my estimate from other known records. 

David Hales 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Kelsey