Rallies and runs

Latest rally down under

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #1304 by Andrew Cox
Latest rally down under was created by Andrew Cox
Hi
I just thought you may be interested in my latest rally was in Maryborough, Victoria, Australia. It was a four day rally the first and last days I rode my 1909Humber, but the second and third days I rode my ABC. The weather was perfect , sunny and about 25 - 30 degrees each day and we covered about 300 kms in those two days. My ABC ran beautifully cruising at about 70 - 75 km/h. Nothing broke and nothing fell off, and I have not lost any push rods.
May I encourage all ABC owners to get them out and ride them as they are excellent bikes and if prepared are quite capable of keeping up with more modern machinery.
So have fun and enjoy.
Andrew Cox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #1305 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Latest rally down under
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the encouragement.
If you could export some of your climate to us, it would help even more...UK weather this week is a bummer.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #1321 by Guy ABC
Replied by Guy ABC on topic Latest rally down under
Greetings Andrew,

Glad the rally was a success. I see from your previous posts you had valve spring problems. I had a race meeting in Stanthorpe last weekend and did an inlet valve spring. It is obviously an original judging by the wear patterns. This is just one more issue in the littany of things to fix on my route to getting my ABC in road-friendly state. I wish to participate as well.

Did you make some and if so did you use piano wire on a former of your own device or what?

Regards

Guy
Brisbane

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #1322 by Andrew Cox
Replied by Andrew Cox on topic Latest rally down under
Hi Guy

How time passes, I had forgotten about the valve springs, that was in 2018 I think.
They were made by a local small spring maker and I think he used piano wire and made a former to suit based on my original spring.
I have done about 3,000kms with them so they seem to be successful .
I would suggest there would be a local spring guy near you, and get him to make them for you.
The guy I used is, The Spring Shop, 27a Amberley Crescent, Dandenong, Vic. 3175 phone 03 9794 9399.
I have a couple of spares if you need a pattern ?

All the best Andrew Cox

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1656 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Latest rally down under
Today I received some pictures from Andrew who's taken part in a rally in Australia.
He's also asked an interesting question: "How often have you seen this ?"
Personally I've never seen it but I wonder what Bradshaw would have said.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #1657 by Dabney
Replied by Dabney on topic Latest rally down under
Andrew,
Very sorry to see the pictures of your frame failure. Like Giovanni I have not seen a frame failure before yours. I had previously read of the ABC's frame design weakness in Phil Irving's book 'Motorcycle Engineering'. (Photo of the relevant page attached). Not sure we can do to avoid it, except try to avoid big pot holes. Hope you get it mended quickly and are back on the road,
best wishes
Ian
Attachments: